It is only 3:00 PM and I feel like it’s been two days! We received John Asher a little after 10 AM this morning at the Civil Affairs Registration Office. When we arrived, two babies were already there. Then the third baby arrived and a little later, our John Asher arrived. He was all bundled up in four layers of THICK clothing. I immediately recognized the nanny from the orphanage and saw a smidgen of his face through the hat and all the clothes. They checked my tag and immediately handed him to me! And he cried. Oh how he cried. He was not real happy about this transfer of ownership that was made. He pretty much cried the entire time we were there, which was entirely too long. After we signed some papers, we boarded the bus and began the drive back to the hotel. He loved looking out the window and for the first time, he stopped crying. Oh how I wished that bus ride was longer!
We got to the room and I could tell he was very hungry but we had no formula. I had assumed the orphanage would bring some with them; we had been given that impression. One of the guides went to Wal-Mart for a formula run. In the mean time we decided we could not wait for a bottle to give him a bath. We wanted those layers off and to clean him up! Poor thing, it smelled like he had not been bathed in days and his hair was a matted mess. We learned he was removed from his foster home on Saturday and put back into the orphanage. So it has been a rough three days for him and I think he has been very stressed. My heart breaks for the little guy.
Speaking of little guy, he has a nickname: Xiao Hai Er which means little child. However, he is no little guy. To have a heart condition, he is quite hefty! I think he was well fed; the chunky thighs give that away. He eats about five times a day and takes equally as many ‘short’ naps. The foster mom said b/c of his heart, he needs many short naps. However, he does like to sleep with an adult. Uh oh! We may be getting a king sized bed very soon. Please begin praying for that, those that know me well know I do not sleep well with a baby in my bed. Let’s pray he LOVES his room at home!
He is definitely Chinese, no mistaking that! His little eyes disappear when he smiles and his cheeks seem to swell when he grins! He also needs a hair cut pretty soon. Aunt Carolyn, get your scissors ready!
He finally fell asleep and slept for an hour. I stepped out of the room for a little break and left Jeremiah in here. When I came back he was awake and sitting in Jeremiah’s lap. The kids and I walked in and in just a few minutes the kids had him smiling and laughing. Oh what a relief that little giggle and smooshed smile was! I finally felt like we might be ok. He has been laughing and crying off and on and I do think it will just take several days until he and us adjust to each other. I know he seems to have made an attachment to Jeremiah, and possibly me. He likes for the kids to make him laugh but isn’t too crazy about them holding him. The kids are crazy about him though! J
I have seen the Lord’s hand through this, especially in how calm I was when things didn’t go as I imagined. Of course we all envision our version of how things will go, but the Lord has his own plans. Thank you so much for your prayers for us, they were greatly felt! Please continue to pray as John Asher will experience a period of grieving and adjustment, especially with his wild siblings! We will also need to continue to be calm and patient as the adjustments may come quickly or slowly.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words….so the pictures will speak for themselves! Love you all!

20 comments:
Praise the Lord!!! Looks like it was an amazing experience...one that we have prayed for for years! He is absolutely adorable!!!! I love the picture with the GA hat (Grace does too!)...so precious!
SJ smelled really bad too...almost made me gag at times..it also seemed like that smell lingered until after we got home. Do you have any ziploc bags that you can put his clothes in and seal up? That might help!
We will continue to send you our love and prayers....as we praise the Lord for this blessing to your family!
Yes!! Finally!! I'm so happy to see him in your arms. He's so beautiful. And love the picture with the GA cap! Too cute! I'm sure these last few days have been stressful for you all...it will get better. Just keep holding that sweet boy and love on him. We will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
Blessings,
Jennifer
Robyn, he is beautiful and y'all look great together! It is amazing to me how many clothes they put on those children...how do they move? :-) We will continue to pray for you all! We have been thinking about you...look forward to meeting John Asher in person. Love you!
LOVE THIS...Welcome baby boy to the Bulldawg Nation! Love A. Kristina Victoria
Congratulations. What a wonderful blessing you'll have received.
John Asher is absolutely adorable! I am sure the transition is hard on him but it will get better, at least you are getting some smiles. AG didn't smile for almost a week and ignored us in China.
You didn't mention about his heart. John Asher looks great. Is he doing well physically, any blue spells?
Praying that God will watch over all of you physically, especially your new little man.
Ashley Hood
Love the Georgia hat, John Asher!! Oh, that he was returned to his orphanage breaks my heart - why!?!?! I know, there are many questions that just don't have answers!
He is adorable! I can't wait to see him smile! And to see those sweet eyes disappear!!
If you are at the Crowne Plaza, there is a "hair salon" within walking distance! My husband got his hair cut there - Maybe John Asher could get the hook up (wash, dry, cut, wash, dry) & the girls there could talk to him in Chinese....
Here's to hoping everyone gets some sleep & that little John Asher's heart finds peace!
Love the pictures! Your son is beautiful and I cannot wait to meet him in person. So glad to hear that the other kids love him. Will keep praying for all of you as you continue to adjust and bond!
Awe...what a g-r-e-a-t start to Monday! Bless his heart, he has had quite an eventful weekend. My Sunday School class prayed for all of you yesterday-that his bonding with you would be quick and delightful. They will be glad to know that he is in your arms. He is quite a handsome fellow and I love seeing big brother E with a grin on his face...just you wait, brothers are so much fun. Enjoy the rest of your stay. Look forward to seeing you stateside.
Kris Mitchell
Congratulations!!! He is absolutely adorable! And it sounds like he is doing quite well. That is awesome!
Congratulations! We have been praying for you since last night (Sunday our time, Monday your time) knowing that John Asher was being placed in your arms. This is a stressful time, but soon he will be attached to you all and I am sure now you are able to so much easier understand your adoption in Christ. Friday was 3 years since Micah was dragged into the social welfare office and he promptly ran out away from us. We ran after him, much like God runs after us.
We'll be praying for you during your time of adjustment!
We're thrilled for all of you!
Lisa Miller
Love the update and photos. John Asher is a beautiful baby boy. I'm sorry that he's having a rough time but just remember even though his little world may not have been a great one, it was the only thing he knew up til now and it felt safe to him. This is all new to him and he will adjust with time, your love and patience. I hope you begin to see his real personality in the next few days as he hopefully realizes that he is safe, in your family FOREVER. We are praying for John Asher and your family, safe travels and happy homecoming to all of you. Love and miss you all!
Congratulations! As I read the updates my eyes fill with tears of joy. John Asher has an adorable face! We are praying for you and can't wait to meet him. See you soon!
Thinking of you all today - though it is tomorrow there by now! He is precious and we are so happy for you. We will be praying at Bible study tomorrow.
Leslie
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I am so thrilled to see him in your arms. My heart is breaking too that he was moved form his foster family three days previous to this, but even though John Asher doesn't know it yet, that was IT!!!! No more transitions of care. He's with his forever family....Praise God!!!!
I'm just praying for God to be ever-present with you and that He will continue to keep you calm and help you to be exactly what John Asher needs throughout this transition!!! I'll be praying that He will work mightily in John Asher's heart to bring him peace! I'm praying for your oldest three as well as they will be adjusting to it all too. I'm just praying they will not be overwhelmed with all the change and that they are able to help John Asher in this transition!
I LOVE all the pictures- and his hair!!! ADORABLE!!!!! I'm just so happy for y'all! (Like how i threw in some southern slang for you?) :)
Tears of joy here! So glad to see you all together, FINALLY:-)
He is adorable. I love all the pictures, but I have to say the one that steals my heart is the one of Jeremiah holding him.
It's too bad John went back to the orphanage and for that amount of time....it's heartbreaking. At least he's with you all now....with his forever family. God is so good;-).
Love and hugs,
Tam
Oh Robyn, I'm drinking in every word, several times over. Thank you for sharing this journey with us. It's just amazing. Love you all! I can't help but smile at the mental image of the children of the roommies now, 15 kids under the age of 10, three different races. Precious how God has knit our families together.
Praying for John Asher and his forever family!
He is absolutely darling! I love that first picture (close up) of him in his hat. Sweet little thing (or not so little ;)) If only he could know that no more heartbreak for him. Forever in the arms of his family. Praise God!
Expectations vs. reality - whew, so tough! I know you've been doing the Esther study too so isn't it awesome to think you have stepped into this little one's destiny and now you get to watch it unfold? God will carry you through this amazing journey.
We're praying daily for y'all.
What wonderful pictures, Robyn. We are all so excited for you and the entire Beall family. We'll be praying for John Asher as he adjusts and that it will be a smooth(er) transition. Our girls (as well as John and I) have been praying daily for you. Wonderful, wonderful day! Thank you, Lord!
Jennifer Walker
Oh, Robyn! He is just beautiful! I can't wait to meet him! What a gorgeous, blessed family you have! I'm staying up too late to catch up on your blog. Leslie and I talked today about how excited we are that John Asher is finally "home" (with his family.)
Post a Comment