Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Hope for Tomorrow

We made it through day two with John Asher. I can say with all honesty that he cried a little less and smiled a little bit more, but still wants absolutely nothing to do with me! He is strictly attached to Jeremiah! Most of you know that Jeremiah loves babies, and before we left he said over and over again that he couldn’t wait to get his hands on John Asher. Well he has had plenty of opportunity to hold him! He wanted to get a shower this morning and I told him “You can’t” and he said, “It seems I’ve lost all my privileges” and I said “welcome to motherhood”! He also said he now knows why moms have post partum depression – all the crying and holding and trying without much reward or feedback. But we have seen some bright spots. He laughs and giggles with the girls and every now and then I can get a smile. He does not want me to feed him or hold him. However, Gracie won him over with potato chips! I’m thinking about locating some ice cream tomorrow and seeing if I can win him over that way!

We think he is a cutie though. We’ve decided with his current haircut he reminds us of a cross between Elvis and a sumo wrestler! J He also fits perfectly into the 12 month clothes I brought for him. No scar on his chest so he hasn’t had surgery. He will most definitely need it soon after we arrive home. His little fingers and lips turn blue when he gets upset. It scares me just a little, but I know he’s lived with this for the past twelve months. I’m just glad I already have a cardiologist appointment for when we get home. I am also holding out hope that some of his fussiness may subside once he feels better and has recovered from surgery.

Thank you so much for your prayers. I can’t say that enough. We need them so much right now. Thank you for asking your Sunday School Classes to pray for us and others that don’t even know us. Here are some specific prayer requests:

We have a big decision to make in the next 12 hours: does Jeremiah leave with his father and drive to visit John Asher’s village in northern Henan? He would have an opportunity to visit the orphanage, his finding spot and take photos of his hometown. However, Jeremiah is the ONLY one John Asher is attached too and we don’t want to have taken three steps forward only to take four steps back. It is our only opportunity and he really wants to go. But we also know we are here for John Asher and want to make the best decision for him. Please just be in prayer about this today as we are also praying about it through the night. If he deicides to go please pray for their safety and protection and also for me and John Asher, that it will be a time of bonding!

Madi Beth: the two things she needs most are food and sleep and those seem to be the two most difficult things for her here in China. She had a very difficult day today and is having the hardest time understanding John Asher’s grieving. She just wants to play with him, after all that is her love language.

Gracie and Eli are actually doing pretty well. They are just going with the flow of things!

Jeremiah: that he continues to have patience with John Asher and the adjustment/attachment process

John Asher: for the bonding with the entire family to continue, that he will trust and love us more each day and grieve less.

John Asher’s foster mom: my heart breaks to think if John Asher is this sad, the emotions she must be dealing with. They were obviously very close! Pray for healing for her heart as well.

Me: that my heart will understand what my mind knows, that I won’t be afraid to try to facilitate the bonding with him, even through the rejection, that I will get some sleep – I am just like Madilyn, I need sleep and good food!

This is the day that the Lord has made! Let us rejoice and be glad in it!

Love you all!

**It may be later today (my tom. morning) before I post pictures. They take forever to load and I am exhausted.

7 comments:

Jeanniemb1 said...

Robyn,
We are praying for all of you. Thank you for the specifics. Hang in there! That baby will bond with his wonderful Mama before you know it...what's not to love? :-) Kiss those kiddos for us and thanks again for the update! I look forward to it every day.
Love you!
Jeannie

Allison said...

What joy and heartache! I keep looking over the precious pictures and praying.

Mannajai (MJ) said...

Hang in there, girl!!! We're thinking about you, especially with the snow here in Athens today! You are my hero!

Heather said...

Y'all have become part of our nightly prayers! Thanks for the specifics - praying for wisdom, patience, and REST!

donparadice said...

Robyn,
Thanks for the updates and the prayer requests! Pam, Matthew and I will be praying for all of you and for your specific requests. Tell everyone we are remembering you all in our thoughts and prayers. Just remember that God is in control and He will not lead you wrong. Can't wait to meet your new little one. Thanks for the updates too!

Anonymous said...

All you can do sweet friend is remind yourself that he is sad and scared. While he will one day be so greatful for you all, today you are strange and uncomfortable. It is just part of the process and all you can do is love that little man, hold that little man and soothe him like mama's do...it is our nature to want immediate gratification...it will come with time. Jeremiah should go with his dad, while the separation anxiety is hard, it just might be good to have a mommy and JA day! Loving you. Don't let Satan bring your spirits down...rebuke him and pray that God will help you hold that head up even when you are feeling discouraged. You are strong missy, lean on our Father...our God is so big, so strong and so mighty there's nothing that He can not do...praying for peace and that JA will sense your unconditional love!!!! KCR

Anonymous said...

I was absolutely obsessed with you this morning during my quiet time, so I decided I needed to come post. So, today it's your fault if we don't start school on time!lol. Father I pray for JA. Lord give him peace. Help him to know that the arms that are holding him are just an extension of yours. Protect his little heart. Help it to function far beyond what it should be capable of until he can get back to visit with the dr. No more blue fingers, please. And help him to warm up to his Mom. Give Robyn and Madilynn peace to sleep. Bring M some great food that she loves that will stave off the headaches. Give Jeremiah rest and peace. Bolster him for the duties ahead and give him great joy even in the smelliness of not being able to shower (and thank you that greasy hair will not be a problem). Be with Gracie and Eli as well. Help them to continue to hold out with great attitudes. Cover this family with Your presence so that it is evident even to those they pass in the street.
April

Thanks for Visiting!