It took a little longer than expected but we are home! Actually we got home Monday afternoon around 6pm, but we just dug the laptop out of the bags and plugged it in.
I can honestly say it was an amazing trip and I am so thankful we had this opportunity to take the family. Some days were hard, some left me thinking I had lost my mind, but I am so glad the children were able to go. They will honestly tell you they have a greater appreciation for our small home (but a mansion compared to hotel rooms) and massive backyard, toys, green grass and trees, blue skies and sunshine (which shone beautiful yesterday with a temperature of 74 degrees, thank you Lord Jesus), and friends! If they begin to lose this appreciation, their ever grateful mother will pull out pictures and create verbal, visual reminders of what they experienced and what they have here!
After a long time in immigration we came up the escalator to a VERY happy and emotional Nana and our sweet, dear friends, Lori and Olivia, Neal and Emma. We were SO excited to see familiar faces and family. Gracie and Madilyn rode home with their friends and John Asher experienced the car seat for the first time, and his screaming led to the experience being greatly shortened. A very tired mom pulled him out and ended up holding him the whole way home. I figured we survived without him in a car seat in China, I-85 was nothing! However, I would like to say that the next day, his more alert and determined parents put him back in the car seat and while he does not initially like it, I think he has learned there is no other option. We arrived home to a wonderful welcome sign and a house full of food! Oh thank you mom and friends! We are so very thankful for a house full of groceries and dinners and breakfasts ready to eat at a moment's notice. There were gifts on the kids beds for them and what a special, thoughtful touch. I can't tell you how much that meant to them to be made to feel special upon their arrival home. We also had a full house of friends that love us so much and we are ever so grateful to them and love them tremendously as well. The girls got to see many of their friends immediately after coming home. Madilyn fulfilled her heart's desire and played outside with her friends until the sun went down. Gracie hung out with her friends in her room and John Asher was introduced quickly to our full and exciting life!
As of midnight Monday night, our Chinese son became an American citizen. He will never know the poverty he left behind, or understand how his life has been drastically changed, but we are committed to giving him the best we can and raising him in the Lord. He's eaten mashed potatoes and green beans, had several baths and seen his room. And while I am on this topic of Americanizing John Asher, we are happy to report that he sleeps in his crib in his room and has become a late sleeper. Oh please don't let this be jet lag! I imagine I could get a lot of homeschooling done with the girls before 10:00! The first morning he woke up scared, not knowing where he was, but hopefully this will taper and he will soon learn that this is home.
We are slowly adjusting to our time zone, although Madi Beth keeps waking up in the middle of the night hungry and wanting cereal. Last night she woke up, got dressed for the day and came and got me for breakfast. When I reminded her it was 3:30 in the morning and she had to go back to bed, she was shocked and reluctantly put her pjs back on and went to bed. Gracie has adjusted beautifully, as usual, and the rest of us will adjust over time. Eli and I fell asleep in the chair last night and completely missed supper. But he got over 14 hours of sleep so it was well worth it! I hope to finish unpacking and putting up laundry today so we can see our couches again! We have to find space for our new treasures and make some more room for John Asher's clothes!
As I close, I will leave you with just a few pictures and over the next couple of days, I hope to post more pictures of our trip. Thank you again for all your prayers and support, in the tough moments, those prayers and words of encouragement got us through! We know that the Lord was with us, and without Him I would be lost. I don't know how people get through the tough times without the Lord by their side! He is gracious, forgiving and his mercies are new every morning!
1 comment:
So, so thrilled to hear that the transition home has been a good one! AND, good to hear you are glad you took the kids- road bumps and all! :)
I'll continue to be praying for you all as you adjust to being home and being a family of 6!!!
Post a Comment