Sunday, April 04, 2010

In His Own Time

He is risen, He is risen indeed! Easter Sunday started out wonderful by having daddy home, the kids seeing their Easter baskets and a wonderful message reminding us of the facts surrounding the resurrection of Christ. It was also wonderful to be back with the body of Christ this morning at our church. These people are like family to us - loving, supporting, praying and encouraging us while we walk this road with our son. Our parents allowed us that opportunity and we are grateful.

Yesterday John Asher was showing his funny, sweet self. I guess he wore himself out because he's not having such a great day today. My visit with John Asher earlier this afternoon was a little disheartening. I was looking forward to seeing my little guy smiling and laughing, like the video Jeremiah took yesterday. Instead I walked in to see a sleeping but fidgety baby having irregular heartbeats and a nurse frustrated by not knowing the cause. Mary Beth is his nurse today and she is quite amazing! We love her and she works tirelessly when she is on call. John Asher has been very lucky to have her and she did all she could today to help control his heart rate. He had a blood transfusion to increase his hemoglobin which carries oxygen throughout his body. She also changed his meds around to see what would regulate his heart. She has been a nurse a long time and she said he is acting just like TOF babies use to act after having surgery many years ago when they operated on kids between the ages of 12 – 18 months. She believes that in his own time he will come around and his heart will regulate itself. When? She says that is like looking into a crystal ball. Well I don't believe in crystal balls, but I do believe in a God who heals in His own time.

Let's just stop a minute and be real. This momma is aching to hold her baby boy. She is ready to have her family back together; she is ready to begin the "new normal". And I know that in time, that will all happen. I know that we are lucky in that our boy will come home and have a normal, healthy life, and there are reminders all around me that we are some of the few that are just that lucky. However, this is still hard.

Tomorrow I will have the opportunity to visit a lot more with John Asher. At the last minute, all three of my children decided to go home with Grandma and Papa. God bless them! I didn't have to ask either party or force my kids to go. They willingly went and that made it much easier on this momma's heart. I will probably pick them up late Tuesday evening so I have some time to visit John Asher as well as get back to the house to accomplish some tasks that are a lot little harder with them around. This will also provide the kids with a good distraction from our current reality.

I humbly ask you to continue to pray for John Asher's heart, for it to continue to regulate itself as it learns how to operate in a new "normal" way. As of now, we are still looking at several more days in CICU. So we ask you to pray for Jeremiah and I as we deal with the emotions this brings and for our kids as they also try to understand what is going on.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Continued prayers for strength for your family and complete healing for your sweet boy's heart. Hang in there. You will get through this! It is such a difficult road you are walking but the "other side" of this journey is so amazing!

MamaStew said...

I am so happy that he is making progess, even if it seems slower than we'd like to see. Babies are very, very funny about that and it's giving you a good insight into just what kind of personality little John Asher has!
Yesterday was truly a day for Easter miracles- a little girl who was waiting at Egleston for over three months for a transplant finally received the gift of a new heart yesterday. They will be in the CICU for about a week or so, so keep an eye out for beautiful little Grace Callahan and her parents, Audrey and Doug. They are a wonderful family who also truly understands what your family has been going through.
As always, you all are in my prayers.
Amy Stewart

Unknown said...

Robyn,
How I look foward to reading your blog each day. Someday John Asher will treasure what you have written about him. But most important what His creator has done for him. God has a purpose and a plan for John Ashers life. The foundation has been put in place. God has blessed your family in a great and might way. First He brought you and Jeremiah together and made you one. Then He continued to bless and grow you with the birth of your 3 beautiful children. When He looked down from heaven and He saw what He gave to you both, I can hear our Lord say, "I am well pleased" Then He saw your faithfulness to each other, your children and to Him. Again I can just hear Him say "In my perfect plan I have more for them,another son John Asher, it will mean more blessing, more love for them to pour out, more trials, more tears for them to shed. All of this in My perfect plan." When we are in the will of God we are in His perfect plan. There is no better place to be, no more perfect place to rest. Oh how much He loves you all. Know that we love you too, and we will be praying for you and all of the children that God has in His perfect plan for your lives. PamG

Thanks for Visiting!