A good night’s sleep and a fabulous breakfast made us feel like a new person.
We met the members of our travel group today and instantly made a bond with most all of them! One other couple brought along their adopted daughter, so we definitely have the livelier group! We have a guide, George, who is passionate about his country, very intelligent and a history buff, and also has a good sense of humor and a lot of patience! We really like him!
We started our day in Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. There is a lot of history in these two places, more than our little ones can begin to imagine. The forbidden City had amazing architecture and beautiful artifacts. I’ll let the pictures do most of the talking.
After we left the Forbidden City we were walking back to our bus and past some street vendors offering samples of their food. We’ve been told, “don’t make eye contact, don’t speak – not even to say no! Once you do, you will be followed. So we’ve all done pretty well, even the kids. Except Bob. He’s from Denver. And he is hilarious! This one street vendor kept harassing him to try some food while we waited to cross a busy intersection. Bob eventually gave in and tried it. Then turned his back to the vendor and waited for the light to change. When the all clear came and we began to cross the street, the street vendor grabbed Bob’s jacket and literally yanked him back! Bob was pretty much forced into buying food. Luckily it was nuts and fruit, something similar to granola, so it was pretty good. Bob taught us all a good lesson – don’t try unless you intend to buy.
The Chinese people LOVE our kids! There are about fifty people out there with pictures of our children. People would pose with them, one guy gave Eli a kiss on the cheek and one other girl picked him up and held him to get her picture made. (Mom, I promise I was right beside him – no one could have taken him where we were standing) I even got suckered into taking a few. Madi Beth began posing after a while and even Eli smiled for every picture – these are kids that usually have to be bribed into taking a picture and smiling! They LOVED the attention and easily got spoiled by it.
We ended our Beijing day in the Hutong area. We took a Rickshaw ride to a traditional Chinese home in the Hutong villages. It was VERY small and had no indoor bathroom! This area of Beijing is very old and very expensive, but no private baths! There are public bathrooms outside the little villages where you bath and go to the bathroom. Speaking of bathrooms, we had our first experience with squatty potties today. Very interesting… Makes you appreciate what we have in America. Americans are very spoiled! We were served tea in this home and the kids were given a sucker. She was a very sweet lady that invited us in.
As I type, the children are all sacked out in the bed! Jeremiah and I are also about to turn in. Tomorrow we see the Great Wall and an Acrobat Show!

8 comments:
You guys are just such an encouragement to me- you have your kids there with you and it seems like things are going GREAT!!!! I'm so thrilled for you! They look so excited in the pictures.
Can't wait to hear all about the Great Wall, and for you to be one day closer to meeting John Asher!!! :)
I finally just looked closer at the last picture!!! It is hysterical- it looks like your kids were being cornered by the paparazzi!!!! :) They took it well.....i'm not sure my kids would have been so gracious.
We had George too! I think there were times when he didn't translate too well?? Think, him talking about the concubines :) George, though hilarious, not so kid friendly!! lol!! My husband WENT to the bathroom at the hutong. I held it!!! He kept saying how he wished he had!
Can't wait to see your family at the Great Wall - it will be amazing!
Thanks for sharing your journey with us Robyn! Praying alongside you for a safe and joyous journey to your Anyang sweetie! Blessings and hugs.
Looks like you are having such a great time...so glad the kids are lovin' the attention from the Chinese people....isn't it funny! I hope you have a great day today at the Great Wall! I can't wait to see your pics...but more importantly, I can't wait for you to get that boy in your hands!
I will continue to pray for health and stamina for all of you! Have fun and enjoy this time..love you!
Robyn,
So wonderful to see you all in China!! It appears you now know a bit of what movie stars feel like;-). I'm glad your kiddos are soaking the attention up...and they definitely look like they've all recovered from their ear aches...PTL.
Wanted you to know we told Sophie the other day about her upcoming procedure and she took the news wonderfully!! I'm so glad this part is behind us. God was definitely felt, and He obviously wrapped her in His ultimate peace. Her acceptance and strength inspires us all. Thanks so much for keeping us in prayer.
Can't wait to see and hear more of your journey. Sending love and hugs to you all.
God is so good!
Tami
The picture of the three kids is definitely frame-worthy. Hope y'all are having a great time!
Post a Comment