Thursday, April 03, 2008
Taming the Tongue - James Chapter 3
The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. No man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. James 3: 6 -10
Precious Lord, Forgive me when I speak inappropriately, please forgive the words that come out of my mouth that do not glorify you and please tame my tongue. I pray that I will learn to not speak unless my words are uplifting and encouraging to others and praise to you. Thank you for your forgivness and grace.
Obviously if I am publicly writing a post about this I must be struggling in this area. Negativity abounds in my family and I seem to pick up on it. Thankfully my husband is the complete opposite and is teaching me to be positive and teaching our kids to be positive. However, I seem to have this disease of speaking at inappropriate times, saying things just because there is silence and often, my words do not honor and please the Lord. Twice in the last five days my words could possibly have indirectly offended or hurt someone's feelings, and that was not my intention at all. Let's just be honest, I need to learn to shut my mouth!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I know what you mean, in my struggles with my son and his lack of obedience lately, I have had issues with this- mostly in my tone, but that's really no better. I just allow my frustration to take control of me, and that is SO not good. I need to hang those verses up where I can see them often as a reminder!
Post a Comment