Monday, June 12, 2006

Father's Day

As Father's Day is rapidly approaching I have begun to reflect on the past 3 1/2 years when Jeremiah first became a dad. As new parents you have no idea what to expect out of your first child, being parents, and each other. But the minute that baby arrived into this world, Jeremiah became the second part of himself, the other half of the man I had prayed to God for over many years. He was already a great husband, but I could see in his eyes that greatness was just beginning. Some call it overprotectiveness, others call it being a crazed new parent, but I could see it for what it really was, pure love. Love similar to the love our Savior has for us, only we could never be so perfect. He would give anything for that child, even his own life. Just as quickly as I fell into postpartum, he jumped into every aspect of our child's life. He wanted to be a part of it all, from helping me learn to breastfeed to changing diapers, to even the loss of her umbilical cord. She spent her first night in this world cradled in his arms, and every night since, she would prefer to be right in his arms. It was no different when our second child was born, the same excitement was still there and the love only grew. He helped me juggle two young children, quickly helping with middle of the night feedings and taking ownership of housework. Upon my request he even made his precious dog, his unoffical first born, to sleep in the kitchen. I'm quite sure he struggled to balance a career, graduate school, and family life, but no doubt he made it look easy, always putting his girls first. He has never hid the fact that his family comes first, and I truly believe that his co-workers know that about him. Best of all, Jeremiah's heart is always striving to please God and raise a godly family. Even when I am tired and ready to put the children in bed he insists on family prayers and kisses which always includes a family devotion time. Jeremiah faithfully studies the Bible, looking for God's teaching to impress upon his chilren. When the children face a difficult situation, even at two and three, he teaches them to turn to God for help and answers. He stops to help others in need along the side of the road, hoping that one day his children will learn from his actions and help others in need, despite their skin color, economic level or religion. Words cannot even begin to express how loved our adopted child will be by her forever earthly father. I see the same love and excitement in his eyes when we talk about her as I did when we were expecting our two biological children. This new child in our family, not conceived from ourselves, but conceived in our heart, will not only be a blessing to our home, but will have her own life blessed by such a wonderful father. Thank you, Lord, for answering my prayers and giving me a godly husband and father who loves each of us unconditionally. "Love the Lord you God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorrframes of your houses and on your gates." Deuteronomy 6: 5 - 9

No comments:

Thanks for Visiting!