Thursday, June 29, 2006
America's Birthday
July Fourth is one of my favorite holidays. I have always been so proud of my heritage. Knowing my father and grandfather served our country in war as well as a new generation with my brother in law having been to war and still serving our country at home, I feel a strong sense of pride and connection to our nation. I am very opinionated about our country, as many are, and believe if you live here as an American you should respect our country and what it means to be an American. Millions of people flock to this country every year hoping for the chance to be an American Citizen. But somewhere half way across the world, a little Chinese girl is being born in her homeland and has no idea that somewhere half way across the world, an American family has prayed for her to become a part of their family in another country. This little girl has no idea about the country or culture she is being born into, and has no choice about whether she can stay in that country or be removed to live in a country foreign to her. Yet we know the conditions she is living in and we know the kind of life we can strive to give her. As an American I believe my country is the best to live in and can provide her with a better life. But as a mom, I know that her culture is so important to her and it will be my responsibility to celebrate the country that gave her life and the country that allows her to live a better life. Happy Birthday, America and thank you for the opportunity to bring my daughter home to her new country.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment