Saturday, October 25, 2008

Is there such a thing as a Halloween Scrooge?

If there is, well I would be it! I really don't want to be, honest I don't. I want to make dressing up and getting candy and going to fall festivals fun. But oh the stress. I am quite sure I am the only mom out there that feels this way and the rest of you are super moms when it comes to Halloween. However, a tight budget, not much time and lacking in the creativity department lately led my children to their dress up clothes box to find costumes to wear to their costume party tonight. Now mind you, the girls looked beautiful and Eli handsome, but they were not new and not homemade. One mom tonight had made all three of her children's costumes and let me tell you, they were spectacular!
However, I did not let my children in on my little secret about feeling like a lesser mom for not being super at Halloween, so they thought they were the star of the party and had a wonderful time! Anyone have any tips on not being so stressed out for this occasion? I think I need to begin tomorrow planning for next year!
Coming soon, my beautiful gifts from India, pics of our recent field trips and more!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously girl, if there were a contest for Halloween scrooge, you wouldn't even have a shot against me. Last Wed. night we had a 20 minute stand in Party City where my oldest stood and stared at lam-o costumes that I told her she could have only if she bought them with her own money. Everyone had already been informed that we were not buying costumes this year and I was not pouring hours into making them, everyone would have to come up with something from the things they already had. Our Party City visit concluded with a van ride home with Mommy lectures on how Halloween costumes were not good stewardship of time or money and how my failure to see that in the past was why I was so adament about it now! NOW THAT just might be a good scary story to share with your kids around a campfire next Halloween!

Jenna said...

Oh, you just need to let yourself off the hook! A costume doesn't need to be home made to make a child feel special! I have no skills at home-made (home made ANYTHING, that is), so we always to store-bought. However, I start early and shop sales. I often by several high-quality costumes at the Disney store the day after Halloween each year. They are usually 75% off and I give them to my kids for Christmas or their birthdays. Then, when it comes time for Halloween, we usually have a great stash already, and they are more than happy to wear something from our GIGANTIC collection of dress-up clothes. My kids love to dress up, so for me, this is a GREAT investment.

The other thing I do, is I do not try to help my kids decide what they want to be- I ask them what they WANT to be, and I make it happen. That might sound harder, but I know some parents make costumes so all their kids will coordinate or whatever, and that sounds like a nightmare to me. If my kids feel special on Halloween because I made sure to get them a costume they love, then that is ALL that matters to me on Halloween!

So, I'd say, you did a GREAT job! :)

Thanks for Visiting!